Australians refer to them as Online Pokies. The Brits term them Online Fruit Machines. The Americans call them Online Slots. Whatever they’re called around, they all pretty much work the same way. The major differences lie in their paylines and, hence, their payouts. This page will provide a general overview of the various Slots types and terminology that you may have come across already but may not have known what they really meant.
Some very important terminologies in Slots are:
- Multiplier – The Wild symbol is usually the Multiplier symbol. It does just as its name suggests. It multiplies! This means that the payout for a winning combination that includes the Multiplier symbol is multiplied by 2x, 3x, or even more.
- Paylines – The Payline runs across the Slot screen and across all reels in either a horizontal, diagonal, or a zig zag pattern. If you bet on a payline, it becomes active. If the symbols that make up winning symbols appear on an enabled payline, you win that round and the payouts that come with it.
- Reels – All slot machines have reels, which are wheels with symbols printed on them. When the ‘Spin’ button is pressed, the reels spin and eventually stop. Depending on the position of the symbols on the reels, you may have a winning combination. The symbols in any Slots game are based on the game itself. For e.g. the Beach Life Progressive Slot by Playtech has a beach-theme and beach-themed symbols.
- Scatters – These symbols only appear in Video Slots. They are called Scatters because they can be scattered anywhere on the reels and can still make you win. For example, you usually only need to have 2 or more Scatters appearing on 2 or more Paylines (not necessarily active Paylines) in order to win that round.
- Wild Symbols – You can find these on Classic Slots as well as Video Slots. They substitute for any other symbol, EXCEPT the Scatter symbol, to make a winning combination.
Before you begin betting on Slots, be sure to decide on the coin size you want to play, the number of coins you want to play, and the number of paylines you want to enable. Selecting the coin size is easy. Simply press the minus (-) button to lower the coin denomination or the plus (+) to increase it. Click the “Select Coins” button in order to select the number of coins you want to drop into the machine. Click on “Select Lines” to select the number of Paylines you want to enable. Here’s a quick breakdown of how you would calculate your total bet amount: Let’s say you select a coin value of $0.10, 3 paylines, and 5 coins, your total stake would be $1.50 (i.e. $0.10 X 5 coins X 3 paylines).
Online Slots come equipped with a Payout schedule which outlines how much the Slots machine will pay on various winning combinations. These calculations are automated, so there’s no need to pull out your calculator to work out the payouts. The Slots game will do this for you instantly.
There are different types of Slots games. You have your Classic Slots, 5-reel Slots, Video Slots, Progressive Slots, Multi-Line Slots, Bonus Slots, Fruit Machines, and Multi-Spin Slots. If we had to choose, we’d say that Progressive Slots are definitely the most popular; having reached the peak of their popularity. There are numerous winning combinations that pay out different Jackpots. It all depends on the Slot game. There isn’t a standard Top Jackpot as with Classic slots. The Jackpot continues to increase until someone is lucky enough to hit it. Popular Online Progressive Jackpots include Major Millions, Mega Moulah Progressive, and King Cashalot.
Before you play a progressive slot machine, be sure to read the rules carefully. This way, you will better understand how the paylines work and what combinations constitute wins. To win a Progressive Jackpot, you need to bet the maximum amount of coins and enable all the Paylines in the case of Multi-Payline Progressives. Each game has different rules, hence another reason why it is important to read the rules before proceeding to play.
Online Slot games usually have a Free Spins feature. Most often, you need to get 3 or more Bonus symbols on an enabled payline to trigger the Free Spins round. Depending on the Top Jackpot of the game, your payout could be quite hefty. Another feature that you will find in Video Slots and Progressives is the Gamble Feature. This can double or, in some cases, quadruple your winnings. The concept is frequently a guessing game one, where you must guess the correct colour of a face down card or guess its suit. Slots also have other features unique to the game. Check out these Popular Online Slots and learn why people are playing them the most.